Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day

I'd like to start off today by extending my gratitude to the men and women of the armed forces. Past and present, they are a big part of why we are able to live as free as we do.

Now, I may be taking a different turn than you expect in this blog... I'd also like to silently thank the men and women of the CIA Clandestine Service. You will never hear their name, see their face, or know about any of their successful missions. You may hear about their failures. In the War of today, I think they are one of the most important keys this country has.

Some folks don't think they are important. They think their tactics are wrong or even evil. At that point I have to ask, "Do you enjoy sleeping well at night? Do you like that your children can play in the front yard and in most areas of this country, you don't have to worry about stray bullets passing by? In the weeks following 9/11, did you not think, Catch them with any means possible!"

I personally think fear and pain is a great motivator. When you see or hear about a video of a terrorist sawing off a reporters head to try to get us to leave their country, are you then worried if we catch that terrorist, does he have a Koran and a soft bed? The enemy isn't fighting fair. They don't care about the Geneva Convention, which by the way, only offers protection to "uniformed soldiers", not suicide bombers and their leaders.

So think about all those who are serving this country today. And maybe sometimes when you are worshiping from your pew of choice, going to see a comedy show, voting, writing a letter to your congressmen, or anything else that we take for granted in this country. I'm not saying everything in this country is right, and we have a long way to go to get there, but we do have a lot of freedoms still.

Now go eat your steak, drink your beer, play some golf and think of a soldier.

Good day America,

John Mackey

No comments:

Post a Comment